Helen Monks reveals some simple steps to stop you falling victim to identity theft and cash-related crimes
1. Never reveal your place of birth to anyone you've just met.
2. Always cover your pin with your hand when you use an ATM.
3. Register with the telephone-, email- and mail-preference services.
4. Check your bank statements regularly.
5. Never throw out statements, or junk-mail loan and credit card applications without ripping them up or, better still, shredding them.
6. Never give out bank details asked for via unsolicited phone calls or emails.
7. Never carry around any more cards than you need. If the credit card you use only once every few months goes missing, when would
8. Never keep your name and address in your wallet, even keep your driver's licence separate.
9. Never put your home address on your luggage when you travel abroad, put your work address.
10. If you suspect your mail is being stolen, contact the Royal Mail customer enquiry line (0845 774 0740) to check whether a mail redirection order has been made in your name without your knowledge.